Wednesday, April 20

Churchy Church Churchiness

I've been volunteering at my church the past couple of days and I really have to say that I have to be careful. One learns too much about the inner workings of beauracracy when spending all day in a church office. I love my church, but I also see its flaws.

It's very churchy and over bearing at times. I just don't know how to react when the administration wants to do cheesy things like make us wear matching boy t-shirts when we go out to do "servant evangelism," the newest trend in modern churches.

"Servant evangelism" shouldn't be just a program. It's a lifestyle, something Jesus modeled for us when he said, "the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve."

Alas, another program where we fight over winning people to our church? Another program where we can get bragging rights over the great things our church is doing?

I hope not...

No comments: